Meridith-Dunbar Elementary was named for G. C. Meridith, former principal of Dunbar High School and poet Paul Dunbar. It was established in 1896 as a two-room school between 10th and 12 Street. The first graduating class of three students received their diplomas in 1903. The school was named Dunbar High School in the early 1900’s. It was renamed Meridith Junior High School in 1968. Meridith-Dunbar became an elementary school in 1970. Meridith-Dunbar opened its doors as Meridith-Dunbar Early Childhood Academy in the 2013-2014 school year.